Marked  - P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast I've had these books sitting on my shelves for a while, and even though I've already read them (years ago!) I couldn't for the life of me remember anything about what happened.

Except one thing: That the books were kind of... awful.

But I thought I'd give them a second chance anyway. And so, I picked up Marked. And within the first PAGE, I already couldn't stand Zoey. She's the sort of character who every other character seems to fall in love with for no clear reason whatsoever. The number of times she insulted other people was astonishing. Even I feel insulted! And yet, everybody continues to shower her with praise. Because she's "special". Heh, yeah.

Something that really got on my nerves was the consistant mentioning of how 'attractive' everyone was. As if that's all that matters in a person. Doesn't matter who they are, but if they're unattractive, or even if they have 'bad hair', then Zoey is instantly prejudiced against them.

One line that stuck out to me was when Neferet first appeared in the book. Zoey described her hair as "deep red, not that horrid carrot-top orange-red". Me, as a person with - oh, well would you look at that! I happen to have this 'carrot-top orange-red' hair myself! - sitting here and reading this... Well, let's just say I wanted to throw this book into a raging fire. Thank you for offending a selection of your readers.

But, you know, I will continue to read the series. I have low expectations, but I won't give up just yet.